Thursday, January 18, 2007

Were You a Little Girl in the 70's?

Hi Guys! I've missed you. Been crazy busy, and fighting getting sick, so I haven't been posting, or even keeping up on the Chia (which, is still alive, btw). I got this email from my aunt (she's only 3yrs older than me), and I knew IMMEDIATELY that I had to post it for YOU. It's such a flashback that it will make you laugh, and, temporarily relieve you from whatever stress you may be having - work, ASD, money, schools, life in general - so here you go! I've taken the liberty of adding in my own comments.

IF YOU WERE A LITTLE GIRL IN THE 70'S......
You had that Fisher Price Doctor's Kit with a stethoscope that actually worked. (It was SO cool!)


You owned a bicycle with a banana seat and a plastic basket with flowers on it.
My bike was purple sparkle, and the seat was white with really bright flowers (and matching basket)


You learned to skate with actual skates (not roller blades) that had metal wheels. And then I graduated to "gym shoe skates".


You thought Gopher from Love Boat was cute (admit it!) I'll never admit it! I did, though, always want to be Julie.


You had nightmares after watching Fantasy Island. Nah, I just considered myself lucky that I got to stay up and watch it.


You had rubber boots for rainy days and Moon boots for snowy days. YEAH! You owned a "Slip-n-Slide, on which you injured yourself on a sprinkler head more than once. Oh and mine were hideous, but I had them!!!!


You owned "Klick-Klacks" and smacked yourself in the face more than once
(or constantly had bruises on your arms!) I remember these, but I think they were my friend's.


You had either a "bowl cut" or "pixie", not to mention the "Dorothy Hamill". People sometimes thought you were a boy. Sadly, mine was neither, but a "repair job" to fix what I had done in 3rd grade when I decided to play beauty shop with myself as client & beautician. My hair's never been the same.


Your Holly Hobbie sleeping bag was your most prized possession. Oh how I LOVED my Holly Hobbie sleeping bag!


You wore a poncho, gauchos, and knickers. I have this aversion to the gauchos, which, of course, are now back in style...but I wore them as hand-me-downs, so by the time I got them, I was the ONLY person wearing them. See why I have a problem with them now?


You begged Santa for the electronic game, Simon. Ah, yes...had the mini version, too. Turns out, this is a GREAT game for SmallBoy - involves following patterns, which ASD kids so thrive off.


You had the Donnie and Marie dolls with those pink and purple satiny shredded outfits, or the sunshine family. Sure did. I had D&M, and my sister had the Sunshine Family. Would you believe I had Donnie and Marie albums, too? I bet you did. Come on, admit it.


You spent hours in your backyard on your metal swing set with the trapeze. The swing set tipped over at least once. I had a HUGE yard when I was a little girl. It was my own little world, my stage, my playland...it WAS my imagination! And yes, I had a swing set with a trapeze. Don't think I ever tipped it completely over, came close a few times, though.

You had homemade ribbon barrettes in every imaginable color. (Oh yeah!) Especially in school colors!

You had a pair of Doctor Scholl's sandals (the ones with hard sole & the buckle). You also had a pair of salt-water sandals and clogs. Sure did.


You wanted to be Laura Ingalls Wilder really bad; you wore that Little House on the Prairie-inspired plaid, ruffle shirt with the high neck in at least one school picture; and you despised Nellie Olson! Oh Lord, don't remind me about the school pics!

You wanted your first kiss to be at a roller rink! Yes, but I was a dor..never happened.

Your hairstyle was described as having "wings" or "feathers" and you kept it "pretty" with the comb you kept in your back pocket. When you walked, the "wings" flapped up and down, looked like you were gonna "take off." I tried so had, but cursed with bad hair, and growing out the awful "correction cut", "wings & feathers" were just a dream for me.

You know who Strawberry Shortcake is, as well as her friends, Blueberry Muffin and Huckleberry Pie. Heh Heh....I still buy Strawberry Shortcake stuff for my sister. It's hard to find the originals, though.

You carried a Muppets lunch box to school and it was metal, not plastic. With the thermos inside some were glass inside and broke the first time you dropped them. I didn't have Muppets, but I did have Holly Hobbie on my metal lunchbox!


You and your girlfriends would fight over which of the Dukes of Hazzard was your boyfriend. Now look at them, who'da thunk?


YOU had Star Wars action figures, too! Oh yes, indeedy! I had a sheet and comforter set for my bed, too!


It was a big event in your household each year when the "Wizard of Oz" would come on TV. Your mom would break out the popcorn and sleeping bags! What's really cool is that now, even though it's on DVD and we can watch it whenever we want, it's still a HUGE event when it's on TV!
You often asked your Magic-8 ball the question: "Who will I marry. Shaun Cassidy, Leif Garrett, or David Cassidy?" Oh Shaun Cassidy, baby, all the way!


You completely wore out your Grease, Saturday Night Fever, and Fame soundtrack
record album. And boy did I!


You tried to do lots of arts and crafts, like yarn and Popsicle-stick God's eyes, decoupage, or those weird potholders made on a plastic loom. I loved that plastic loom! I wasn't very crafty or skilled at the other stuff, but I had a blast with my plastic potholder loom! (Yet another thing that's good for ASD'ers - developing the fine motor skills.)


You made Shrinky-Dinks and put iron-on kittens on your t-shirts! To this day, I still have a shrinky dink ornament that goes on my Christmas tree every year!
http://portal.mxlogic.com/redir/?atS1MWX1EVsd79JeX0VNdYQsCzBwS03AHF7WshHkyv_bV9kz7W4FaAmUDD00ytlvFfZgVv2dqE2JjQ1mtiRctAvZcEjza1kIaEiwlEaOg_hkxmFl7w82Miq208AGhzXHsjPw0uQlQYYPaQWNbs3sSdyszfQOZTzhOeoU7d1044PCnbJ10463CmrJ104k53DXJ1044PPLwQ40hih5cUY1h8g4y8Js3yby8ubR8zdjhPVU3J104kDIpDcd104j8gAws19xM21kl8I6zA3xoyc3qjgg14O42pOaqbgg14O431Oaabgg17Oe38p38n1vygwdecIq3820u10Q5Sww25E-peOiKAvEfp5NouO7k9NB0Gm7Fza4E5q3QTa6odGzSgV6UZdMCufp3Lwfjsfyfp3xWrAjW3SgUe2gj6033wA4Nx9eZT2Wrw1xMi2oMBY3t-LuWdQXFTKrKrS24vTBqCffE2JfJnundzxOrZS3qabyraarNEVjdI3zoK0GhEw3hsQg0sc1cQg0ad0Iqd40wq80G6wA4xkqd40i3gm5jh06wMQg0AbzhEw7nd4UNTtTsrDUvf0srhdECQXI3D4TPhOUCrJ1i_

You used to tape record songs off the radio by holding your portable tape player
up to the speaker. Definitely. Did you also make your own "demo tapes" by singing along into the microphone while recording off of the radio? Oh, wait, that was probably just the beginning of my NEED to be on the stage!


You had subscriptions to Dynamite and Tiger Beat. Posters plastered all OVER my walls!


You learned everything you needed to know about girl issues from Judy Blume books.
(Are you there God, It's me, Margaret.) Thank GOD for Judy Blume. I remember reading about pads and belts and being horrified, and the book was already outdated!


You thought Olivia Newton John's song "Physical" was about aerobics. (?? its not??) Well, isn't it? Hee hee hee


You wore friendship pins on your tennis shoes, or shoelaces with heart or rainbow designs. Rainbows, I believe - or school colors!


You wanted to be a Solid Gold dancer. Hell, I even had the outfit!


You drowned yourself in Love's Baby Soft - which was the first "real" perfume you ever owned. Is this stuff even out there anymore? I'm dying to get some for Girl....although she's well beyond Love's Baby Soft...but it's just sort of a teen age girl thing!


You glopped your lips in Strawberry Roll-on lip-gloss till it almost dripped off. Yes, yes, but did you also go for the flavored Bonnie Bell Lipsmacker sticks? Jumbo size?
Oh, please share your memories with me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

under-roos.