Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Asperger's in a Nutshell

I realize that there are many new readers to this blog (HOORAY!). I speak quite often of my son who has recently been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. Many people have inquired recently as to the nature of AS. I urge all of you, especially those who know and love my SmallBoy, as well as any of you who may be curious, to visit the site by Lars Perner, Ph.D., an adult with Asperger's. In his site, he describes the common symptoms of Asperger's as,
"...social problems, vulnerability to sensory overload, awkward posture, and a tendency to take many figures of speech literally."


There is a multitude of other symptoms and not every person with AS displays or experiences the same symptoms. SmallBoy, for example, when overloaded, will absolutely melt down, even if it is for something miniscule. I encourage everyone to check out this site. It is most informative. I also have a quick link in my favorites on the sidebar.

No comments: