Thursday, August 11, 2005

A Boy, His Stepdad, and his Stuncle

The boys finally had their male bonding. So they're not boys, but it keeps me young to call them that. ANYway...ET & PC took LargeBoy up to the cottage shared by PC's (& ET's) family for an overnight trip. We had talked about the cottage to LargeBoy, but I think he had a picture firmly stuck in his head, and that was from a different cottage. This one absolutely exceeded his expectations. He was flabergasted.

The only phone call I got was late Tuesday morning to let me know of their safe arrival and their imminent plans to grab a burger at the soda bar and then head on down to the beach. From what I understand, they never stopped. They hiked, swam, ate, played, hung out with a whole bunch of people - none of whom LargeBoy knew when he got there, but with whom he is now on a first name basis. They ate pizza - and didn't bring me any (how rude!). LargeBoy experienced his first beach fire party. He learned the story of how ET changed the face of the map by re-routing a river that runs through the park. He also got to witness ET being humbled at finding out that the summer residents go out to that river every year and re-dig to assure that his handiwork stays put against Mother Nature. They took a night hike on the darkest night of the summer. LargeBoy begged for them to use a flashlight, because it was SO dark. Not wanting to be dubbed as the dreaded "RENTERS", the boys never bring a flashlight. Aside from ET doubling back behind them in the dark and jumping at them, they survived just fine. I have managed to quell my worries and "what ifs". They are big boys and they were doing everything they've always done. I'm sure that had LargeBoy spent his summers there, he'd be able to walk through that park blindfolded also.

Some wonderful moments and bonding came out of this trip. While walking in the dark, LargeBoy was very firmly holding on to PC's shirt, so as to avoid being separated from him. It showed me how much he trusts PC and I find that so fantastic. We've been together for only a bit over a year and been married for 7 1/2 months, so it is such a great feeling to know that they have this trust between them. More bonding on the beach, too. The guys were involved in a game of catch or something with some of the other people on the beach. In this game, each player had a nickname to which they had to respond, lest they miss the ball coming at them. I don't have any clue what PC & ET were named, but LargeBoy was dubbed as "Stepson". The best part of that is that LargeBoy was totally comfortable with that. It makes me happy. Oh, and, I cannot forget ... most importantly, the biggest, most incredible bonding that took place is that the three of them made the 2 - 2 1/2 hour car ride together never fighting over music, never releasing enough gas on each other to make anyone pass out, and never once stopping for a pee break! In my opinion, that's some SERIOUS bonding right there.

LargeBoy was so excited when I saw him after he returned home. He couldn't stop talking about it. He's already decided that he's going to be up there every weekend next summer, with or without the rest of us and that, if it's possible he's going to live there over the summer and come home only on weekends he's supposed to be with his father. Gee, think he liked it? He's already written a song about his fun at the beach. I don't know how long it will be before he shares it with anyone but PC and me, but he was absolutely inspired. I feel so lucky to have these people and places in my life. Who'd'a thunk?

No comments: